Instagram

Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 1. Hobart - Tasmania, Aussie

I just realised that simply waiting to process my photos before I write is not a wise solution to my impending write-ups. Saw japanese girl's blog, although hers has no photos, she just quicky blogged about her trip in Japan before she forgets. And that sent me thinking, what if I had totally forgot about my experience in Aussie? And hence these written posts without any photos first, admidst my nearing exams. Eeps! No time to check my grammar errors though.

7th March 2012, Wednesday
My day one was spent in Hobart, wondering the streets, venturing out alone. Followed the Lonely Planet recommended itenerary. What a relief - the hostel I stayed at happened to be right in the central of the bustling Hobart, only a 5 mins walk to the famous Salamanca arts centre.

Ahh the weather was so good. Since I prepared enough clothes, it was so comfortable to walk around. Average temperature was around 13 degrees I supposed. Walked to constitution dock, and had my first fish and chips lunch at Flippers. Then continued my walk to Fish Frenzy that area, and then I entered into a piece of grass land. Its a building that I'm not sure of, but I see lots of students enjoying the grass patch. Hahaha, like having a picnic. So relaxed~

Continued on, and I walked into Battery Point. Hmmm, so these houses were something to see? Well, indeed its pretty much of a difference as compared to Sg here. Hahas. So I saw houses after houses and houses. Walked on, walked on. Had a generous serving of strawberry ice cream. Yummy! Tasmanian made ice-cream. But soon I regretted.. why, lets move on and I will tell you why.

Expected to see the Jackman & Ross bakery, which was pretty famous among tourists, and bought their hot-cross bread. Haha. Hard!!! When eaten the next day, why is it so hard, my teeth cannot take it man! So chewy, are australian bread like that? But the hot cross bun are fragrant.

Then walked on, time was getting a little late, but luckily the sky hasn't darkened! Stopped by a pizza store which had just opened. The whiff of the pizza smell attracted me, and that made my head turned back in awe. I was not hungry, but I dearly wanted to try the pizza! When I pushed opened the door, first thing I saw was.... hahaha this is a bit funny, but the guys making the pizza were so handsome... hahahaha. Good looking man. Then I saw, so many pizzas being baked! As though there were people following me, after I just stepped into the shop, several customers stepped in and ordered straight away. At least 5-6. Argh, I just could not stand it anymore, so I ordered. Tasty!!!! But alas, I couldn't finish.. Yes due to the ice-cream. And suddenly a pang of realisation hits me, this is the disadvantage of traveling alone; I have no one to share food with! Because my stomach has limitations when it comes to food, I can't possibly try a variety of food. Barely managed to finish half of the pizza and I requested to take away the food, with the thought of giving it to the hostel lady.

Somehow, somehow it feels good traveling alone. I just like the feeling. Away from work, home and studies. Yay for my freedom to spirit around. Without any thoughts in mind, I could just wander freely. Tee hee. I am not sure whether I still can do it next time, but then I'm just glad that I made it through this time. Or is it because I know some friends in Tasmania, that made me feel more at ease. I don't know. Maybe I gotta try traveling alone next time again. Haha.

Received a text when I was having my pizza midway through, and I was about to text as well since I was sitting in the restaurant, finally getting to relax around with my pizza. If I had not remembered wrongly, the initial calls were not successful (something wrong with the roaming), so I texted that I had safely reached in Hobart. Hahaha. 报平安. I learned next time. To buy a local card!!! Or if not, just purchase more prepaid value, just in case!! Roaming is expensive.

Time passed very fast and very soon the skies start to darken. I quickly walked back, from there the battery point linked me to the Kelly steps and back to the Salamanca Arts Centre. I didn't know there was a shortcut back to my hostel which only took me 5 mins, and had walked the long way which tooked me 15 mins. Too bad, I missed MONA. Awww.

And the day passed just like that. Weeeeeee. The hostel girls were so friendly. But one thing I had realised, they all don't really step out at night. Around in the late afternoon, they would be back. And then early evening, they will be reading a book, or watching a video. Then 9 plus, lights out! That was such a culture shock for me. Met a girl from Perth, who is on seasoned working holiday, a girl from Germany. No problem for communication since we all know english, and 2 taiwanese girls! Haha they were so cute. The 2 taiwanese girls were only staying for the night, and they have to prepare for the upcoming 5 day tour around Tasmania. Covering quite a lot of places if I'm not wrong, like Wineglass bay, Bay of fires, Launceston, Cradle mountain. Well, me too! Tomorrow will be Port Arthur for me. Time to prepare for the next day! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment