Instagram

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Answer Me 1997 - the painful one-sided loves

Do not have the time to watch dramas nowadays, no idea why. I used to remember I have time for all of these, but these recent 2 years I have gradually stopped and resorted to reading their recaps, until some good ones really attract my attention to chase the drama.

Have been following this drama recaps - Answer Me 1997 for quite a while. And while reading it, I can totally feel the realistic vibe from the students. Even the recappers have been talking about how it feels so good. The drama year revolves about teenagers from 80s. Fandom, school life, first loves.

There was a few that I like and thus sharing it here. A painful one-sided love. Episode 10.

Joon-hee: The reason I like you? Because you're that person. Because you're you. Is there another reason besides that one? I'd rather know the reason if there was one. Then I could find a way to not like you. If I can't avoid it, then there's only one thing I want: to remain by your side, unchanged, for a long time. Here's to our love, that chills our hearts. (toasts)

Joon-hee asked Yoon-jae: Why do you like her (Shi-won)?
Joon-hee: “Isn’t Shi-won the person you’re closest to in the whole world, like a twin? You like it when you’re together, and it’s comfortable, and even if you’re not doing anything, there’s no awkwardness between you. That’s what I was always most envious of. Isn’t that why you like her?”Yoon-jae says no, he’s wrong about that. Joon-hee: “Then why? Why do you like Shi-won?”
Yoon-jae: Because... she's pretty. Awwww.

Its the same for Yoo-jung and Hak-chan coupling.
Yoo-jung: Why do you like me?
Hak-chan: Because you're cute, and pretty.

How about Shi-won and Tae-woong?
Shi-won: Oppa, Why do you like me? Because I'm like Song-joo unnie?
Shi-won asks if Tae-woong likes her because she reminds him of unni, but he says no, he did at first, but not now. “Because you’re pretty.”
She points out her un-pretty features, but he says she’s still pretty in his eyes. “Though, not in anyone else’s.”

Back to their reunion, someone answered in the same manner too.
Because she's pretty. Because everything about her, from her wrinkles to her moles, is pretty in his eyes.
So sweet. P.s. Due to translation difference, the pretty here does not only refer to the appearance. Subtlely, it refers to a person being pretty as a whole. A pretty heart. A pretty smile. A pretty vibe. Just everything is pretty about her. Quotes taken from dramabeans.

2 comments:

wenhua said...

going to check out this drama after your blog entry.

gd drama series are quite rare these days.

you have fun!

Carrot said...

Yes I do agree. One thing I'm here on exchange, the teachers always ask is why do we want to learn korean. And I replied its because of dramas at first. The next question they will ask will be which drama I have watched. For this I found myself unable to reply. Because I have watched too many dramas in the past until I couldn't remember them.

Good dramas are really hard to come by. Hope you have been well Wen Hua!! Cheers!

Post a Comment