Instagram

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fish and Chips in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

7th March 2012, Wednesday
After I touched down in Hobart, I boarded the city coach bus by Redline and zoomed into the city straight. The bus driver was friendly. I was initially quite intimidated by all the ang mohs surrounding me, because beforehand I had been slightly briefed of the racism that was a little more serious in Tasmania, apparently. But it turned out fine. Well, not in a sense they would disturb you in the daylight streets anyways. Unless you did anything to turn them on. However that doesn't mean that I could relax around; I was on high alert at all times. Being alone overseas, was no joke. A lot of matters I had to take it into my own hands, and decide what was the best option for myself, without anyone's advice. Nothing was for sure. But Australia, in general was quite safe, as compared to other countries.

And now Hobart. I like. Quite a big city, almost if not more than half of the people in Tasmania reside in Hobart. Which means, for instance around a population of 500,000 people, 250,000 are situated in Hobart, and around 100,000 in Launceston, and the rest scattered around other places in Devonport, Burnie, etc. Can you imagine, a population of only 500,000 people in Tasmania, and 6.5mil residing in Singapore?! That is so much of a difference.

Generally I liked the whole of Tasmania. But personally if I have a chance to go again, I would choose to go in spring or summer. Spring, be it to see the tulips, or summer, to see lavender. This season was autumn. As I would have expected to see orangy maple leaves here and there, unfortunately in Tasmania they do not grow it as widespread in comparison to other countries. So what I had been seeing all these while on the roads, were huge grasslands / vegetation in eternal brown. Flat, not much trees, all in shades of light brown to darker brown. No greens in sight. Upon visualizing, would be better if I come in the spring or summer, wouldn't it. ;)
 After I settled my luggage at the hostel, without wasting any time, I hastily changed into another pair of jeans and walked outside on the streets. The room was quite okay, sharing with 5 other girls. But my problem was with the luggage as the hostel didn't have lifts and I could only put my luggage at the ground floor, carrying my essentials to use and wear for the next 3 days. It was my first time to meet this kind of situation and I was a little lost of what to do. I kept forgetting what to bring along and run down and only to forget other stuffs when I was upstairs again.
Recommended place for fish and chips at an affordable price was this: Flippers fish punt. 
Ha. On the lonely planet recommended itinerary.
 Naughty seagulls. They wanted to steal my food. I was so irritated with them.

Really tasty, the fish and chips. Fresh. Ah, one thing I found it so different was, they CHARGE for the sauce. When I asked for tar tar sauce, they charged for 2 AUD. SG gives it free of charge! 
But they gave a very generous serving of chips. It was good but I couldn't finish.

This is my ship! Met a elderly couple from England and we had a short conversation. Actually they had been to Singapore before they came here! Ahaha so funny. I took a picture of them, and the grandpa also helped me to take this picture in return. So nice of them. And guess what, I met them on my way back in the evening too! Hahaha. Really funny. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment