Instagram

Friday, March 30, 2012

I manage to catch the sold out Mary Poppins musical in Brisbane!!

I really want to brag about this, ahahahahahha. Even writing about this right now still get me excited on my nerves, and the tingle of excitement really makes me smile giddily in response.
Photography was not allowed. But I secretly snapped this only one during the intermission. Just could not resist. XD
I bought the last ticket to the last show playing in QPAC, Brisbane. Could you believe it, could you believe it?????
Oh Mary, oh Ms Mary, thank you so much for allowing me to catch not only a glimpse of you, but the whole of you spanning over 3 hours~!!

My friend was amazed that I was able to get the tickets. When I reached Brisbane on thursday, upon passing by QPAC, I immediately enquired the sales counter when I saw the Mary Poppins musical. Musicals or plays always interest me when I'm in overseas, so I would not miss the chance to catch 1 or 2. Its interesting to see their local plays. Expensive activity I would say, but to me its so much better and worth it than to spend my money on some shopping which could be done back home. Its only ever since I've started working then I start to slowly catch and appreciate these musicals. Back in Korea trip in 2009, I've also caught Nanta and Jump.

Anyways. So when I enquired, the sales counter told me it was fully sold out, weeks ago. Disappointed that I would miss this big musical (Upcoming Alice in Wonderland was also not showing yet), yet having no other choice I decided to go for this local play called Bombshell. Sounds good as an alternative, isn't it? And its first day was on 17th, Saturday, just nice I would be able to catch it before I leave.

Then. Next day Friday while at Lone Pines visiting the koalas, I received a call. It was cancelled! Such nice timing, huh. Second disappointment. And I have to go back and collect my cash refund. Rounded back on Saturday itself to collect my cash refund, I noticed there were so many people, waiting to watch the afternoon Mary Poppins. With a heavy heart, I went to their lifestyle market and slightly walked, wondering what to do in South Banks for the afternoon, an idea clicked in my head. Should I head back to QPAC to try my luck? See if anyone was going to last minute cancel their reservations so I can get it??

As if luck was there to help me out, there were 2 seats available!! Unfortunately counter told me I had to get it in pairs, without hesitating I contacted my friend; I was even prepared to treat him, unfortunately he preferred his sleep. I've no idea but eventually I was allowed to purchase my one and only ticket!

Super excited that I could secure my ticket! Expensive it was indeed, costing me 132.50 AUD, but it was really a good seat and I was in the middle. W o r t h  it.The whole theatre was filled with ang mohs and I was the only Asian among them. I think. Heh. XD

The musical atmosphere was drastically different from the way I had watched in Sg. It was totally enjoyable and I could feel the closeness between the audience and the actors on stage. The audience unsparingly gave lots of compliments for each good scene. All would clap long seconds, and in some situations even whistle. Actors on stage would enjoy the claps and the scene will stay longer if the claps were longer before the next scene continue. I enjoyed this kind of interaction immensely. Its the kind of subconscious behavior, that proves the actors really love their job and try their best, in return the claps are the feedback from the audience.

Not that Sg was not good. Its good also, but our audience were more reserved, just pure clapping and perhaps only a few stood up. But over here, its totally moving. The whole audience totally swayed when Mary flew around, and gasping when Bert went upside down. 'Ya know, that kind of atmosphere? ;) 

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

No comments:

Post a Comment