Instagram

Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 4. Salamanca saturday market, Launceston - Tasmania, AU

10th March 2012, Saturday

I woke up at a slightly later time today, around 7.15am? Since the saturday market opened at 8am and was only a 5 min walk from the hostel, there was no need to wake up so early. Sam was still sleeping when I woke up; she slept on the bunk above me. It was a little hard to sleep yesterday. Was constantly awakened by the cold weather, me thinks the blanket was not warm enough. I even put an extra layer of blanket! It was the piece I took from Emirates flight for just in case.. And it turned out really cold and I was really glad I had that. Sam could feel it too, she told me she constantly feel that the double bunk was moving, and creaking. Haha. I tried my best not to move around! But I just couldn't sleep well for the night.

And so I left with Sam and her friends to the Salamanca market. I was really excited to have them along with me, because it would be more fun, and yes finally I have someone to share food with, instead of just having to eat it all by myself. Traveling in a group ensued more fun, definitely.

Hahahahaha, the girls were so funny! We practically enjoyed ourselves, it was my first time of being able to chat so much and clutching my tummy, laughing out loud on the streets. In our own language. So comfortable!! Hadn't spoke for so many days. They were so nice to hang out with. One of the girls were searching for the famous Bratwurst saugage hot dog stall, she said it was featured on their Hong Kong magazine. Then we just walked on, and there I spotted it. She was so excited and snapped practically everything of the stall. The uncle grilling the sausages just looked at us, appalled at how we were going gaga over the stall, I guess. I was there laughing and laughing. Then we ordered, a beef and a pork one I think. First food of the day, yummy! The sausages, coupled with the sauteed onions, were so juicy and nearly scalded my mouth since they were so hot. But as usual, food always tasted best when its piping hot, wouldn't they. 

Then we continued on the walk, there were simply so much interesting stuff to see on the way. Saw some handicrafts on accessories, they were so pretty, but so much overpriced, and that stopped me from buying. But they looked so sweet. I'm leaving my hair longer and could wear those soon though. Awww. Gotta admit those were pretty unique and could only be found there. But they cost 8AUD! (translates to 10.8SGD) You tell me, can buy or not?! And its only a handmade fabric badge hair band. The price was not justified. I expected maybe 4AUD.

Walked on, and ate a piece of pizza that looked so appetizing. But its so so only. Then walked on, ate a box of blueberries. They were so sweet and fresh. Most importantly they only costed 7.5AUD! And a big box, mind you. Now, these are the things that are worth buying, because back at home they cost so much more and are sour, and comes in a small box.

I don't know if its in my character or what, the market was just so fascinating to see, but if you were to ask me if I'd anything to buy, I would just look at you blankly and shake my head. When traveling, the culture of the country attracts me more than shopping. Maybe its because I'm quite a seasoned traveller, having seen more things in some other countries, since I forsee I'm not going to utilise it, so why waste the money. Pretty, does not mean useful. Its like throwing money into the selfless ocean. Asking me if I'm gonna do shopping in AU, the answer is not really, unless its reasonable and worth to get. Sometimes its even more worth to buy back in our own country, especially during sale period, like our GSS, for clothes.

Also, to me, Australia is not a place to shop for stuff. The shopping places are always in Taiwan, and Hong Kong, isn't it. So I kinda expected that I wouldn't be able to get some things. And they were expensive anyways. During the period I went, currency of AUD shot up to 1.35. And immediately when I came back they dropped to 1.24. WTH. *stomp my feet on the ground*

2 of the HK girls wanted to get the handmade crafted mugs. OMG so heavy, how are you going to use it?! Hahhaha, but they were so pretty. Walked on and I recommended them to go to Battery Point. Easily we spend like 3 hours plus in the market already. I didn't join them for the walk to Battery Point since I had been there before, so I popped into one of the art galleries to have a look. Alas, by the meeting time, the HK girls were not back yet, apparently they had a problem with their aussie phone line and were at a shop trying to settle it. Time was ticking; I had a coach to catch to Launceston today. I then had to bade farewell with one of girls who came to look for me, and I forgot to get their contacts. Oh dear. Awww. I missed them already.

I still had some time to spare. Tried their cinnamon doughnut, bought some water, and enjoyed the music of the swiss band. Hahaha. Bought some postcards for future use as well. Then I saw the crepes stall which Sam and I had promised to eat together. Just the thought itself made me go awww, I wouldn't be able to share with her anymore. When will I get to see her again? I ate the spinach and feta cheese salted crepes. Nice! With the tomato topping it was delicious.

A so called considered lunch, before I took the coach to Launceston. Made my final packing and off I was to the coach stop in Hobart. Quite a distance from the hostel, I must say. And it reminded me of Korea along the way. The houses were built on hills, so walking up, and then walking down, trugging my heavy luggage along with me. Korea is also similar, just that there were more wires hanging, and the houses in Seoul were built closer to each other. But the hills in Seoul were steeper. And once again , the silent cursing went on in my head. Actually it was made better due to the 4 wheels of the luggage, but the roads were not smooth, so it was better to pull it.

I must admit I was quite apprehensive on my way to Launceston. And yet, at the same time, looking forward to the meet up with Jackie and Alvin as well. No idea why, I worried about how I would be giving trouble to them. Indeed. To be honest, I wouldn't require to think so much if I were not meeting them. I would be just off to land tours all the way, in fact landing nicely on the days I was there, after some research. But somehow.. somehow, at the back of my head, there was a lingering thought. Its not easy to meet people who are on overseas studies in a country. In other words, I would say the opportunity doesn't come easily. Just like King, it would be a miss if we had gone after June; he would be back in Sg. By that time, regret also no use, isn't it. But King was different. King was so much closer to us, if we say ON, he would be sure to pick us up. I hate to say this. But the fact that we were aquaintances led me to consider a lot. I didn't want to give trouble, but at the same time I felt I had to give it a try, no matter what. Success or not, that's for later to think about. Most importantly, its whether I had given in my best effort without regrets.

So. Since opportunities don't come easily, when they do come, I should grab it, shouldn't I. And so, I did and now I'm on my way to meet them! Can't believe its all turning out true. Couldn't believe I'm realising my planned trip one day by one day. Hehe. Does it goes to say, I planned it pretty alright? Hmmm. I made the effort; try my best to contact and make the odds work. Thus when they do work finally, I can't help feeling a sense of relief, and peace. I did not want to go with an unease mind, like what am I supposed to do for today, are we meeting up for sure (?), so I made sure these friends were able to confirm with me before I left for Aussie.

Saying in words is very easy, but to put it into action is way so much harder. Ooh the coach reached earlier than the arrival time. Read a book on the way, gosh, it was one I had bought some time ago, but didn't had the time to read. Coming from Hobart, such a bigger city, Launceston gave me a feeling like a big town instead. Did not seem like a city, although it was stated as the second city in Tasmania in the books. There weren't much cars, even though it was a saturday, and the roads were clearly smaller than those in Hobart.

Hahaha I didn't see them yet, so I went to the washroom. For a moment, I thought hmmm... what should I do... Then their call came. Hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.

I saw Jackie... hahaha... and then I saw Alvin... hmmm how should I describe the feeling?? No apt word could describe accurately how I felt that time. Relief? Happy? Excited? All in all, thank goodness! Hahahahahahahaha.

Overall, in a foreign country, seeing familiar faces greeting you really makes one feel warmed at heart. I think its this kind of emotional attachment that grows. This is also probably why the foreign communities would bond tightly together, no matter in which country. The connection is there.

They brought me to their house, and from there I got to know their housemates. Ben, Celia, Clara (ahem, not the clara in south korea, hahahah!), Justin. So many people living in the house! Plus me for a temporary short stay of 3 nights. It was quite different from what I had imagined. I can only say, the landlord was pretty smart in renting out the rooms to the students studying here. Heard that the garage was converted into a room for their current house. Really smart of him to do that.

Time just passed so fast, it was dinner time. All along, I knew life in Australia was pretty laid back and relaxed, but I realised basically even the students were having a good life as well. But living in AU, it meant you have to mingle in groups for survival. Food is expensive, shops close at 5pm sharp, supermarkets or marts are not so easily available for some remote areas, unlike in Sg, Hk, Tokyo, Seoul, etc, where food is instantly available and eateries operate until 9 or 10 at night. Students in AU practically have to cook at home. And if cooking is required, normally to cook for a group and eat together would be more easier and convenient.

We had japanese style curry chicken, it was scrumptious. Actually to me anything was good, OMG rice for the first time in my trip. Can you imagine, R I C E . hahahahahahahaha. Not that I missed rice anyways, I'm adaptable, its okay if its pasta or bread, or any other forms of western food for all my trip. I knew I'm going to have rice when I'm back home; thus it doesn't matter that much to me. Since during travelling, I've always believed we should experience the culture and the food in different country. We shouldn't be choosy about food. Unless its really something that is not edible or the taste is really something everyone can't accept. Trust me, after you have been through a trip to China Jiu Zhai Gou (九寨沟), and everything is fine? Everything is OKAY for you to go anywhere, practically. Asking me? My brother and I, ate everything that is laid on the table for each meal on that trip. Without any complains. Yes. That was kind of how seasoned we were.

I think letting children experiencing the developing countries first, then going to the first world countries is a better choice than the other way round. Its my first time to a western country, and I totally sink into the level of comfortableness it gave me, and yet accompanied with the high alertness every now and then, from the experience I had from the developing countries. And because we have been to such places before, we understand the different culture and are able to accept it palpably, but kids who had been to the first world countries first, out of 10, 9 cannot accept the culture, even the adults. What about the remaining 1? He tells his parents, next time they can go on their own. Haha.

Jackie cleared his room for me to stay for that period. Thank you so much and sorry you had to bunk in with Alvin. :) Night time, we went to supermarket, Coles and Kmart. Then I saw this BIG moon! Wow, its seriously so big, in front of my eyes. Later when I told this to the japanese girl, she told me, carrot do you know you can see this in Bedok as well?? -_- Fine. hahahaha.

Night time at Launceston was really like deserted town. Frankly speaking. To compare, its as though like Raffles Place and Tanjong Pagar, but our areas weren't that remote in the evening as compared to there. No joke. You won't dare to walk out alone in the streets at night, because there wouldn't be any soul up the next 10 clicks. Hohoho.

**Such a long post for today. No time to check grammatical errors as well. Apologies in advance..**

No comments:

Post a Comment